In year 5, we have a daily English and Reading sessions and we have weekly grammar and spelling sessions. This will coincide with set homework and spellings which will be tested on a Friday.
During the Autumn term we will be focusing on:
- mystery and suspense;
- explanation texts;
- vocabulary building;
- literary heritage.
The children will be reading several different texts ranging from fiction to non-fiction based around the topics listed above.
By the end of this academic year all pupils in KS2 must read the following books:
- Friend or Foe by Michael Morpugo
- King of the Cloud Forest by Michael Morpugo
- Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke
- Oliver Twist (abridged version)
- Skellig by David Almond
- The Firemaker’s daughter by Philip Pullman
- Orange’s in no man’s land by Elizabeth Laird
- The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S Lewis (series)
- Street Child by Berlie Doherty
- Thief by Majorie Blackman
- Danny, Champion of the World by Roald Dahl
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone by J.K Rowling
- Brother’s Grimm Fairytales